Keep up to date with Nicola’s Top Tips of the Month
- Remember to practice teaching in the deepest water you have this term in preparation for the Rainbow Carnival! The students may be used to not touching the pool floor, but maybe you are not 🙂
- Thank you to all who were involved in the Swim the Rainbow Carnival on 9th December, we had such an awesome day! Perhaps we’ll see a few more teachers involved for 2018 – at Homebush again, that’s such a fabulous venue (how lucky are we?!)
- In the lead up to Rainbow Club starting up again on 3rd February, please review the Swim the Rainbow program and watch the webinar for this month – that’s going to cover off on some new systems you need to be aware of.
Socks! I’ve tested this out at Liverpool and Bondi in the last couple of weeks and it works …. as most of our Clubs don’t have access to waterproof wrist or ankle weights (exorbitant pricing …) I highly recommend you get a supply of heavy socks. I went to Target and purchased a 5-pack of ladies and 3-pack of childs, cushioned sport socks. Investment $14, worth every cent 🙂 Where you have children who have low muscle tone, very buoyant, the socks on their feet add just enough weight to give more feedback to their brain on what their legs are doing. Also consider using the small socks on their hands to assist with sculling or paddling movements. Consider also using with children who are struggling to coordinate kicking or over-water movements – the options are endless. Mind you, work towards not needing them at all (as with all swim aids).
10th November 2017
- Sensory Tactics The inaugural webinar – not brilliant but with a few tweaks and a bit more practice I’ll improve! At least I had a go, which I hope you all will too as you take the time to implement some of these strategies into your upcoming lessons. All the best, Nicola
- Case Study – Aiden, a child on the Autism Spectrum
25th January 2018
- Setting up for 2018 Even if you’ve worked with Rainbow Club for several years I recommend that you have a listen as I trust you will get some value from this half hour recording.I had a lovely chat with several teachers … which I neglected to record! So I went through the slides again to create this recording to share with those of you who were not able to be present! I welcome your feedback.